Monday, June 3, 2013

Touch screen or touch the page?



Touch a screen or touch a page?


The modern approach to reading may be "on the go" as the say. Readers are making a change from simply reading in their spare time to finishing books on the train, in the plane, or before the big game. It is no longer necessary to wait on your local library to aquire the newest best sellers. After having the oppurtunity to try using the nook inparticular I have definitely aquired a new perspective on the new electronic readers.

I think these devices such as the nook and kindle are extremely useful for people who read alot of books. It stores all your books in one place while even allowing you to share them to other devices sometimes. many of the books come at a lower price since you are not buying the actual printed book and allow more affordable choices. Its totally easy to bring to class, put in a carry on bag or even bring on car rides. However, in my personal opinion I still was lured to hold the actual book in my hand and "touch the page". For classwork I like the ability to quickly glance at a couple pages at once to recap, highlight, or put a couple of sticky notes. Though the electronic books do contain options to highlight the text and leave notes I found it very in convenient to have to stray from the actual text and go to a seperate sheet of notes on certain pages. This probably suits me only because I am a very tactile person and like to physically see the book in front of me and see how much reading I have accomplished. Nonetheless, I do believe that picking up an e-reader is great for any reading aimed towards more leisure activities where you many not need to analyze or remeber certain critera of your novels. The compactness of them and the ability to have thousands of pages in something as thin as a cell phone is a genius idea. So what will you decide to touch...the screen or the page?

2 comments:

  1. After reading your review I would rather touch the page instead of the screen. I completely agree with everything you have stated, there is a fine difference between devises such as a nook and an actually novel. In my opinion there is something about actually holding the novel while reading that ties the whole reading experience together. It’s easier to flip back through the pages to read certain parts over again if the reader needs to. Also like you said I like to visual see how much of the novel I am completing. I agree with what you said about how the nook tries to incorporate technology into making a reader able to highlight and bookmark pages but it simply is not the same. I appreciate how you gave both ways of reading complements. However, in my opinion nothing can compare to physically holding a novel hundreds of pages long in your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I had a hard time making the transition from page to screen. I like to actually hold a book as well, and be able to flip through the pages; to go back and re-read something or even flip forward. Although, now that I have been using an e-reader for the past few months during the course, I truly am a fan of the e-reader. A lot of times I found it difficult to read an actual book because I could never find a comfortable position to read in or I would honestly just get tired of holding up a heavy book. With the kindle, it's so light that I can bring it anywhere. It's also so much easier to transport and I like the feature of any book being just a click away. Reading a kindle on the beach is also a lot easier and there is no glare which is a plus. I think I'll continue to use the e-reader as I start new novels.

    ReplyDelete